Friday, 8 April 2011

Life Drawings

I have not been very productive these past couple of days. I developed a migraine headache Wednesday night and have been out of commission since then. For any migraine sufferers you know what I mean. Anyhow, I don't want to get into a woe is me story but I do want to share something that brought back some memories the other day. I was cleaning out the basement earlier in the week and came across my old portfolio from college. I have not looked in it in years. So I decided to open it up and take a look. What memories came to mind while riffling through my art. I was only 17 when I started college, that's just 2 years older than my son. Hard to believe where the time goes, especially when it seems like yesterday that I was drawing these pictures. One of my favorite classes in college was "Life Drawing." I remember walking into my first class, lugging my portfolio in one hand, my tackle box full of art supplies in the other. I felt odd, out of place somehow. Everyone else seemed more with it. Like they had done this before (well a few had - they were much older). Well I went with it, pretended I knew what to do. While the teacher was talking I noticed a man dressed in a tracksuit  walking around the classroom. I thought to myself, this is odd? Who was he? Why was he here? I just shrugged it off and refocused my attention on my teacher. Everyone at that point started taking out their large manila drawing sheets and conte crayons. I assumed while I was in deep thought with my curiosities of the mystery man, that the teacher instructed everyone to get there supplies out. Quickly I did the same. I turned around and started to get my conte crayons from my tackle box which was sitting on the floor. When I turned back around, there he was. The man in the tracksuit sitting on a chair in the middle of the room, only he didn't have his tracksuit on, he was NAKED! ......Gasp! My eyes skirted around the room, looking for some shocked expressions on the faces of my fellow classmates. NOTHING! Serious and focused they were I tell you. Were they just being composed? or did they know? I realize the class was called "Life Drawing" but I didn't realize that this life that I would be drawing was going to be in the nude! I guess I was just young and naive, after all, I was just 17. 


Here are photos I took of a few various drawings.








By the way, we had different models of various ages, shapes and sizes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It is great hearing from you!