Wednesday, 22 June 2011

Hot Off The Bench - New Pendant Necklace

Cobra Jasper, Elephant Jasper and Script Stone are the many names associated with this particular stone. It originates from India and is a very striking gemstone. It has a brown to dark maroon colored background and wonderful contrasting yellow swirls throughout. I knew that this cabochon gemstone's destiny would be to become a pendant, however, despite the plan in my head and later on paper, it morphed into something completely different. I love that. When my plan changes, it is usually for the better, in my mind anyway. It was going to be a simple bezel setting without adding a patina coloring to it, but as I was working on it, I felt that the stone needed some oomph. I created petals by melting sterling silver into balls and then hammering them flat. Filed each one by hand and then formed them into tiny curved petals. I hammered an overall texture and applied a charcoal patina to the entire pendant and then buffed away to reveal the contrasting texture.

"Creativity involves breaking out of established patterns in order to look at things in a different way." Edward de Bono




Cobra Jasper, Script Stone and Sterling Silver Pendant, Corilu Designs 2011









No comments:

Post a Comment

It is great hearing from you!