Thursday, 29 September 2011

The Ostrich





I was going through some of my photos to add to my Vision Fields shop on Etsy, when I came across this one in particular. It makes me laugh when I look at it but at the same time, it fills me with awe at the sheer beauty of God's creatures. It is a close-up of an Ostrich head that I took last year at a farm of a friend of my husbands. The Ostrich, is one of the many animals that roam his property. I love their uniqueness and the dignity they possess. The Ostrich is a large flightless bird native to Africa and is the largest living species of bird, which lays the largest egg of any living bird.

Speaking of Ostrich eggs.....Have you ever seen or held one? Well I have. We were given an Ostrich egg which came from one of the Ostriches on the farm. Let me tell you that sucker was tough to crack. My husband had to drill a hole on either end to release the eggs contents. I'd have to say in my own estimation, that the egg yolk and whites from one egg, were the equivalent of about two dozen regular chicken eggs! Can you image that? I couldn't believe it. It actually filled an entire large bowl!

So what did I make with the egg you ask? I made one freakin large frittata! It was so big in fact that it resembled a large cake! The taste was similar to that of a chicken's egg, just slightly different.


as you can see, I can barely fit my hand around it.




The size difference between a regular chicken egg and the Ostrich egg.




Elsewhere.....I have new jewelry pieces that I need to photograph and list in my shop. Hopefully that will happen tomorrow  :)







No comments:

Post a Comment

It is great hearing from you!