Sunday, 6 May 2012

Rising

On Saturday, I was invited by my brother-in-law to attend an unveiling of a stunning stainless steel outdoor statue named "Rising" for the newly built (actually still under construction) Shangri-La hotel and residence building in downtown Toronto. The unveiling of this spectacular sculpture resides just at the entrance to the Shangri-La. The artist is Zhang Huan. He is one of China's most influential contemporary artists. He was commissioned to create this spectacular piece which is comprised of hundreds of peace pigeons and tree branches made to resemble the body of a dragon. Being that I create my own sculptures on a tiny jewelry scale, I was completely blown away at how such strong metal as stainless steel and in large amounts can be transformed into smooth, and seamless paper mache-like pieces. Truly beautiful. You can read more about this sculpture and the artist here.










No comments:

Post a Comment

It is great hearing from you!